Do you dream of using your knowledge and skill to make a lasting impact on our ability to protect critical national assets which rely on computers?
Do you relish the challenge of working on problems others claim is “too hard?” Do you enjoy working on new ideas and creative solutions?
If you are graduating with a Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics, or related fields, and want to contribute to important national security missions, we’d love to have you join our team!
We are seeking dedicated individuals to perform purposeful research and development toward building new capabilities to ensure the resilience, safety, and security across a range of military and intelligence community systems. Our team actively works to develop and support state-of-the-art capabilities in areas including:
- Cyber Operations
- Quantum Computing
- Formal Methods and Software Assurance
- Software Security
As a member of our team you will…
Work to solve problems and develop novel solutions for the Government across a wide variety of agencies, departments, and problem domains. You will join teams of engineers and scientists whose goal is to develop creative solutions to existing and emerging computing technology challenges from initial ideas through prototype and experimentation. We strive to cultivate an environment that promotes professional growth and a balanced life, and encourages diversity of thought. In more detail, your role will be to…
- Perform basic and/or applied research to address urgent challenges across a spectrum of technologies.
- Participate in research projects to develop new ideas in computer science and engineering. Transform ideas into functioning prototypes to demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of new and emerging solutions.
- Participate in teams working to advance the defensive capabilities of essential national systems. Analyze and assess existing capabilities and identify exposed gaps. Work with staff to devise and develop algorithms, methods, and new solutions for improving defensive capabilities.
- Actively engage the broader community by publishing papers and presenting research outcomes in academic settings. Share knowledge by clearly articulating ideas through papers and presentations to technical staff, management, and Government decision makers. Take advantage of opportunities to participate in community working groups, sponsor meetings, proposal writing, and conferences.
You meet the minimum requirements if you….
- Have a BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related technical area.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and on a team.
- Are able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance. You will be subjected to a government security investigation, and you should meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information up to the Secret level. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have had prior interactions with the DoD and IC communities.
- Hold an active DoD Clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers. (http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers)
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.